This is a cooking utensil traditionally used by people after rice became a staple food. You can use the pan for both cooking and eating purposes. It should always be kept clean after every use.
USE AS A COOKING VESSEL
Apart from cooking rice, it can also be used for cooking other foods. It cooks seafood and mixed paella which consist of white rice, chicken or rabbit meat, beans, white rice and other ingredients that adds flavour and colour such as lemon. There are different procedures used to prepare the recipe according to the number of ingredients you will use. The pan can also be used for warming food since it has two handles which makes it efficient to use without getting burnt.
While cooking with this vessel, observe the safety measures as you may cause accident or injury.
• You should never cook in loose clothes.
The pan becomes as hot as it cooks for a long time hence it can cause fire if it comes into contact with your clothes. Also tie long hair at the back as it may catch fire very fast. Dangling jewel may get tangled around the handle; you should remove them when cooking. Most severe burns are caused by clothes which caught fire.
• Install fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
This will prevent fire from spreading to other rooms and destroying your properties. Never add oil to an overheated pan to prevent flames from shooting up. Always allow it to cool down to avoid accident and regulate heat appropriately to ensure the food will not overcook. Make sure you know how to use it in case of emergency. Never put a lid over a pan of oil as oil can spill over and get to the burner causing fire. In case of a small fire, cover the pan with a large lid to extinguish or pour salt on the flames.
Check your heat source to be sure it’s off after finishing cooking. And never leave the food cooking as there is danger of overcooking which causes fire!
• Pan handles should be placed away from the heat source.
Children may grab them if placed wrongly and get burnt. You can also be burnt by the hot handles leading to serious injuries. Use pot holder to handle the pan.
USE AS AN EATING VESSEL
Paella should be eaten directly from the paella pan. The pan with the food should be placed at the centre of the table to ensure everybody has equal access to it. Set another bowl on the side to put remains from the chicken bones. This helps to ensure the table remains clean. Divide the food in portions of triangular shape according to the number of people to be served. Then, provide them with spoons and folks if necessary. You should eat starting from the edge towards the centre .You may find something in your section that you may not want to eat such as vegetables. Place them at the centre of the paella somebody else may want to have them. You should eat away from the edge near other people`s sections unless they are through with eating and satisfied.
Eating together from the same pan makes the relationship bond between people stronger. You should observe table manners while dinning. Don’t call attention to yourself by breaking rules set by society.
• Never eat other people’s portion.
• Never talk with food in your mouth. It will piss off other people or make them not to eat again before they are satisfied. If asked a question wait until you shallow all the food as you may split food to others.
• Turn off your cell phone or set it in a silent mode before sitting down. Its rude to using your phone in the company of others. Avoid making rude sounds at the table.
• Never blow on your food portion if its hot .wait until it cools down. Eat slowly and pace yourself to finish with others.
• Compliment the cook if you like the food.
• Rest the hand you are not using on your lap to create space on the table.